November 22, 2010

Old Meat.

I have experienced the equation for world peace.

One of the volunteers in my region recently had her 25th birthday. We hosted a dinner party at our house and invited the Missionary family and the JICA volunteers (Japanese peace corps type). Picture this: Japanese and Americans laughing over a plate of Italian food speaking in their only common language (Wolof) in Senegal. World Peace.

Last Wednesday we celebated the Islamic holiday, Tabaski. The day commorates Abraham's sacraficial offering of a lamb in place of his son Issac. I was told for weeks leading up to the holiday how great the day is, every house kills a sheep and eats all day. I figured it would be something like Thanksgiving. Nope.

I am all for eating of tastey animals. Seeing the slaughter process doesn't make me queasey; in fact, I think since I eat meat I should know how it gets to my plate (of communal bowl). However, I was not ready for the massive bloodshed of Tabaski. My family compound killed 2 sheep, we had a lot of meat. My neighbors slaughtered SEVEN!! I went on a run after Tabaski and found piles of sheep innards decorating the bush. We ate the leftovers for three days after the slaugher. By the third day the meat had the tender, burn-by-the-sun, aged flavor. I quite enjoyed it.

I had a "this is Peace Corps" moment. Yesterday, I was riding the 35K into Linguere. About 10K out of Linguere my tire blows out. So, I toss my bike on my back and start walking. Peace Corps.

3 comments:

  1. I just bought my first "whole roasted chicken" since I needed quick protein after my workout; me tearing it a part made me sick...you and your lambs are much more hardcore.

    Hope things are well; I do check on you through your blog!

    Shady and Mo-Fish are coming to Denver this week to celebrate Carface's birthday. Should be good times. I hope to see Mo waste-faced. We miss you; hang in there! You're doing so awesome.

    PS - I just presented on Peace Corps last week and we had to say why we picked the organization/agency we did. And I said, "Around the time we were picking topics, my friend Ann Marie was returning home from Africa for a short while; though she was slightly jaded and intoxicated most the time she was back, she inspired me to explore the Peace Corps inner workings a bit further." You were also in my PowerPoint Slide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMA- You are a badass. I expected nothing less then what you described- throwing your bike on your back and walking. NICE WORK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For your own safety, I must tell you this. The celebration of Eid, or Tabasco Sauce, is to commomorate Abrham's near sacrifice of ISHMAEL, not ISAAC. The Muslim faith believes that Ishmael was the legitimate son of good ol Abe. I personally go with the route of the Bible as truth and believe that my buddy Isaac was the legitimate son and Ishmael was the bastard child of Abe's distrust of God and sin in sleeping with his slave rather than trusting God to knock up his aging wife Sarah. So, for your own good, watch what you say about Isaac around your Islamic surroundings. You might just get stuck eating the sheep intestine next time rather than the tender delicacy of the back loin.

    PS, I can send you a tube of Fix-A-Flat or Slime if you want one for the next time your tire blows out. Hope you were wearing your helmet!

    ReplyDelete