September 16, 2010

I am in Love.

Say 'ello to my little friend. Isn't she perfection?


I rescued her from some horrid children who thought it was okay to play football with her. After falling in love with her I introduced her to the family. They, like the majority of Senegalese people, were not so keen on the idea of my new adpotion. In fact, I learned that April, the volunteer before me, kept a dog for a few weeks. Until one day the family took the dog to the field. It never returned...I was bound to protect my new best friend.

I brought the pup to our Regional House in Linguere as a replacement for the dog that had run away. Again, people really dislike dogs here. In order to get a spot on the car I put the dog in my shirt and told the driver it was my baby. Things got a smidge odd when she started barking at the chickens that were also riding along.

I named her Helen Keller, clearly. At first I thought it was because she was both blind and deaf, turns out she's just dumb. If only Annie Sullivan were around to train her, my life smells of dog urine. I'm not sure if that's a step up or down from the usual ode de goat poop.

2 comments:

  1. Fasting, gorging, rescuing unwanted puppies, attempting gender equality. You really are doing god's work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that no matter what mood I am in, reading of your exploits gaurantees me a smile, if not a burst of sudden laughter that makes my coworkers wonder if I'm okay back here. I love Keller. She is adorable. I shall commence learning sign language immidiately.

    ReplyDelete