March 02, 2010

i wish life was a musical

Today marks day 500 since I officially submitted my application to join the Peace Corps. It has been a long process with lots of mixed emotions. After every step in the process, I couldn't help but start making mental packing lists for my inevitable departure. Around day 200 I started to realize that an actual invitation to serve was like the proverbial carrot, always dangling just outside my reach. To use the Peace Corps slogan, life was calling. I couldn't, and PC clearly advises you not too, wait around any longer. Time to go teach in China!

Days after I accepted a position teaching English in Taizhou, China with my BEST friend Kate, Peace Corps called to talk about country placement! Lovely. I withdrew my application from active consideration and went on to have five of the most awkwardly amazing months I could have expected.

Now on the other side of my "that was so weird..." China experience, I am getting ready leave for Senegal. "Getting ready" is code for running a lot of unnecessary errands, saying goodbye to people and running water, and watching trashy day-time television. Really, I'll do anything to avoid packing--my one nemesis. I even went on a run today. Gross.

If only life were a musical. I could hit a few high notes and woodland creatures would flock to help me. I'd finish packing, and my catchy little number, in minutes. Alas, without the assistance of my furred and feathered friends only one item has made it into my bag. Valentiena's hot sauce. Not only a delicious additive, but I am convinced it will serve as a priceless defense against mysterious Senegal gastrointestinal issues.

Yep, just me and my hot sauce living in Senegal for 27 months. Although, I don't know where, another Peace Corps carrot I suppose. My assignment is to serve as an Environmental Education Extension Agent. The first nine weeks are training in Thies which includes lots of language learning and skill building. I imagine it's also "try-outs". A time to assess your sweet skills and what kind of environment you can handle being placed in. I watch Bear Grylls, bring on the Bush.

I'm going to go turn on and off the lights for a while. I'll do my best to update this with tales from my PC experience. Thank you for being in my life!

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea you were going to be gone for SO long! I can't imagine life without electricity and running water for 27 months, but it takes a special kind of person to do what you are doing and you are definitely that! I'm so very proud of you and I can't wait to hear about your journey. Be safe and I love you!!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that the only thing you can't do without in Africa is hot sauce. Try to get people in Senegal addicted to hot sauce too. I will be your number one blogger fan. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teacher Anna,
    Your Photo: You + Giant Mound of Meat + Several Onion Rings Smashed in between two greasy buns = EVERYDAY USA!
    For every blog you post, i will post a memory or a moment for your appreciation.

    Halloween....YMCA....grab ass (your a cheater BTW).....glow stick drumming on construction worker's head....pass out in bed of clouds......didn't wake up for breakfast IDIOTS!

    Sincerely,
    your BEST-AH friend, KatER

    ReplyDelete
  4. heck yes! I'm follower number 8!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "my one nemesis?" I think you meant, "my other nemesis, following right behind the one and only amazing Kim Kreiling." How am I supposed to be your nemesis when you are going to be gone for 27 months? Don't worry, I'll come up with a way...

    ReplyDelete